Thursday, January 7, 2010

Because I'm totally lame ...

I like variety, especially when I'm shopping. That said, I shopped for 13 years at the commissary on Fort Benning, because it really was a hell of a lot cheaper than "real" grocery stores.

Since moving, I now go to regular grocery stores, and have been patronizing the nearest Food Lion for the past year. It's incredibly better than shopping at the commissary, even if it is more expensive. It's not worth my time or gas to drive to the commissary on Hunter Army Airfield - it's tiny and I hate always having to tip the baggers when I'm very well capable of putting the bags in my car.

Today I was giddy when I found a Kroger within a 10-minute drive of our house. I'm not one to foray into the unknown (we've driven around the area, but never to this part of town) so I looked up the store online and followed the directions. It was like pulling into the parking lot of heaven. A Starbucks, inside the store? Hell yeah, give me a LARGE (I feel stupid saying venti) coffee. For some reason, the bigger the store, the more comfortable I feel. I browsed around that store for a good 45 minutes, amazed they sell pots and pans and even coffee makers.

I know this is quite normal for regular people, which is why I feel pretty lame being this excited. Sometimes it's nice to feel like a "normal" person, not part of the military community. Don't get me wrong, I love the military life, and will miss it someday, but after 13 years of living on post, I'm really enjoying living among civilians, in a regular house we pay a mortgage on, and shopping at regular grocery stores.

No comments: