Sunday, August 22, 2010

Because I can relate ...


I'm 36 years old - not young, yet not old. I feel sort of stuck in an age limbo - I can easily hang out with a 21-year-old as I can with a 43-year-old. I have friends of all ages, and I'm sick of people thinking that just because you're that much older or younger than someone you can't be good friends. Maybe I'm just appealing to the masses. That sounds much better.


In the meantime, I am reading this book. I am relating to it, for the most part. I'm realizing you're either my age and have a child over 10 or a child younger than 5. There really doesn't seem to be an in-between. Of course there is, I'm not a total idiot, but for some reason it seems this way. So, while I don't understand what it's like to be 40 and have toddlers, I do understand that feeling of not being young yet not being old.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I was just reading a review of this book in People. It sounds interesting..I like the description they used like being a tween - not quite a young adult but not at midlife!

Erin said...

I get most of my book recommendations from People. I am a dork who gets excited when I wake up Friday mornings, because I know it will be in my mailbox later that morning!
The book was good - some stuff was more relatable than others. And seriously, in every chapter she had to tell us she had twin girls.

It might have been a better long essay or maybe a novella - it seemed like a not-so-greatly-edited book of essays. But I did enjoy it.