Monday, April 20, 2009

Because I'm older, and somewhat wiser...

Way back when, about 13 years ago, I was a young Army wife, all of 22 years old. Of course, I knew everything.

I was constantly angry at the Army and at Adam's unit for taking him away from me so much. I didn't know how good I had it at the time, and see other young wives now who remind me a lot of my attitude back then.

But now, I'm settled. Maybe because I'm older or more mature (god willing) or have just gotten more patience with my years, the sometimes impossibly long hours Adam works don't bother me as much.

The main reason is because now that he is in one of the top leadership positions, I know how important the training he's teaching and doing is. I want the many men he works with trained, and trained well. I guess in a way I feel more like a Mother Hen, being an older wife and mom in the company, and every single Soldier is like family.

Addison is almost 10 years old. There's no more making bottles, changing diapers, reading picture books, etc. All of our time together is quality time. I love to go outside and play catch or work on his baseball skills or fly a kite with him. It's much easier now that he's older. We've been very busy with all of his baseball practices and games, so that also makes the time when Adam is not around pass faster, although Addison said yesterday it's no fun without Dad around. Gee, thanks.

I'll still complain about not seeing him, although not as much. Instead of viewing it as a negative thing, I see it as a positive step for both myself and our family-Adam is doing an incredibly hard and rewarding job. I'm always proud to say he's my husband, and Addison is my son.

I'm a lucky girl.

No comments: