Friday, July 31, 2009

Because otherwise I'd have to kill you...

This is probably the post that I should have posted the day I started this blog. Read on.

I'm an Army wife. My husband is in the Army, not me. Which means I don't have rank-he does. I refuse to be one of the wives who thinks her shit doesn't stink just because of her husband's rank. I hope I have remained grounded the last 13 years.

Anyway, what I really want to say is this...

I really, really wish I could tell you things. Things about Adam and his work and such. I know you are curious because you are just as proud of him as I am, but honestly, I can't say stuff I wish I could. For the most part, this is because I really don't know.

It's hard for not to share this stuff, such as deployment and redeployment dates. That stuff is usually so up in the air I would just be wasting my breath if I told you anyway. It's hard to keep it all in, when I know sharing with family and friends would make me feel better. It's always nice to commiserate. In this case, I can't. That sucks.

I do not know anything about what Adam has done overseas. This is for my own sanity. Knowing he is not done deploying for several years makes me stick my head in the sand. If I knew what he actually did, I would be a nervous wreck for the entire deployment. I always say I prefer to see him sitting on a bunk somewhere, staring longingly at my picture. That's how I see him overseas, and that's how I get through it mentally.

Not to say I'm not curious. I am a curious person by nature. I've told Adam the day he retires, we're going to get a couple cases of beer, and he's going to tell me everything he ever did overseas, every detail, until he's done. Whether this takes one hour or one week I don't care. I know he's got great stories and I look forward to hearing them someday.

Know that I'm not trying to be cagey when I seem to skirt around your questions. It's just that if by the small slip of my tongue caused harm to anyone or anything, I could never forgive myself. My top priority (besides the Boy, of course) is making sure Adam and his entire unit are safe. I know that's understandable.

No comments: