Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why I'm So B.A.

Since I have so much time on my hands and my brain runs the gamut with everything from politics to furniture polish, I recently started mentally racking up all the women who inspired me as a child.

*My mom, of course. I learned even if you marry a jerkoff (#2) you can rebound from it and be a better person because of it. I was never scared off marriage as some kids of divorce are. Heck, I was 22 when I got married, and Adam was 19. We are still married 12 years later and still madly in love.

* Half Pint, also known as Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved watching Little House on the Prairie with my sister, especially the older ones, when life was very rustic. Laura was a spitfire, and always questioned anything she thought was wrong. I find myself doing that, questioning authority a lot, because I don't like being told what to do.

*Madonna. My first tape ever bought was Madonna's first album. I followed her career until the mid-90s, when her music got weird. I learned from her to be my own person, that I could be B.A. without being a bitch.

* Pat Benatar. I love her music, especially "Invincible" and "We Belong". I used to love the video where she ran away from home because it was bad there. Pat Benatar was the original B.A. (badass) and I wanted to be her, to wear a rag skirt and rags in my hair. My only beef is that the song "Hell is for Children" used to scare the bejesus out of me.

I know there are more women who inspired me while growing up and shaped me into who I am today, I just can't think of anymore right now.

No comments: