Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Because I'll never be THAT wife...

There's been so much going on the last five days it's been crazy. I am not going to go into right now, but needless to say, I've learned a lot about myself.

First and foremost, I've learned I am a strong person. People have told me that through the years of being a military wife, but I always figured if I didn't love Adam, I wouldn't do it. It's a tough life, no doubt, but there's plenty more pros then cons, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I've learned I might not be quite the follower I always thought I was. I'm not a born leader, but have been inspired by Adam and others I admire in that regard.

A few months ago, because of the rank Adam had achieved, I was put in the position of being a leader. I was not too sure of myself as a leader, but I felt that since I was in that position to help others, there was no reason I shouldn't.

I could tell at our first meeting the other wives were hesitant of me. They had to feel me out, see what sort of person I was. Here's the thing...I'm me, swearing, blunt, say-what-I-think Erin. Sometimes I come off as rough and gruff. I'm fine with people not liking me also, because I certainly don't like everyone I meet.

Because of Adam's job title, I get a title. But I don't want that title. I don't want to be (insert rank here)'s wife. I'm Erin. Not to take away anything from Adam and how proud I am of him and how great he is at what he does, but because there shouldn't be rank when it's a wives meeting. I respect all of the men's ranks, but believe when it's a room full of women, there's no rank, unless, of course, they are in the military.

I've met plenty of wives throughout the years who would refer to themselves as "the colonel's wife" and stuff like that. What, you don't have your own identity?

I could go on and on about this, but I won't. Like I said, there's been a lot going on. I'm fine, Adam's fine, Addison's fine...no need to worry.

No comments: