Thursday, November 6, 2008

Adrenaline robber style

Yesterday began like any other day. Sent the boy off to school, then Adam and I went to his Honor Roll program. I got home about 9:45 a.m. and got on the computer. From the desk, I can see out the front window.

When I saw two Columbus Police Department cruisers drive by, I thought, hmm, that's strange, since I live at Fort Benning, but whatever. Then I kept hearing a helicopter, which is not unusual living on an Army post. I usually don't even notice the helicopters but this was non-stop chopper action.

I went outside and saw that it wasn't a Blackhawk, but a police chopper. The two cop cars were parked on the side of the road, idling, with no officers in them. A couple minutes later, I looked back outside and saw an officer, so I went outside and asked him if there was something going on I should know about.

"We're looking for someone. I recommend you go in your house and lock your doors."

Hey, no problem, copper, I turned and ran back into the house and immediately called Adam.

I'm going to try to keep a long story and longer day short. In a nutshell: a man robbed a bank in Columbus, then came onto Fort Benning. The electronic device in the money bag was traced to this neighborhood. The police and FBI were here looking for him. They blocked off my entire neighborhood, not letting anyone in, and commenced to go to every single house in the area and search it, including mine.

All of the schools here were put on lockdown about 10:30 a.m. By about 2:30, a half hour before dismissal, I started getting antsy-I just wanted my son. I drove up to the school and waited outside until the lockdown was lifted at about 3:20 p.m. I got my son and came home, relieved to have him with me physically and safe.

This guy still hasn't been caught, and I'm remaining vigilant, but I'm no longer scared. Regardless, all the doors and windows are still locked up tight today. Sigh....hopefully life will get back to normal today.

1 comment:

Army Household6 said...

oh my that is scary! I hope for your (and everyone's) sake they catch him soon.

The lockdown thing is scary...we went through that a few months ago here at Belvoir. (they thought it was some sort of biological/chemical thing)