Thursday, December 20, 2007

I love third grade


So I got the call Wednesday afternoon to substitute for a third grade teacher today. Sure, I told her.

I was a little apprehensive because in the few months I've been subbing, I have never been a real teacher for a full day. A few hours here and there, but mostly subbing for aides in kindergarten and special needs.

I needn't have worried.

We started the day with 10 kids - 7 girls, 3 boys. Within 10 minutes, a boy and girl went to spend the day at the gifted program- down to 8. By 11:30, a boy left for the day (he told me his mom was picking him up to go shopping because he had $30-way to go mom), so I was down to 7. After lunch and recess, two more kids left for Reading 180.

It was me and five third-grade girls. We did some worksheets together, then colored a Santa card and cut it out (I made one for Addison) while listening to Christmas music. Addison's class across the hall was having their Christmas party, so my friend brought me over some pizza, cookies, a cupcake and some Cheetos.

Talk about being set.

It's great being a sub.

No comments: