Thursday, August 14, 2008

Phelps-Greatest Athlete Ever?



Michael Phelps, Olympic swimmer, is awesome. He's an great athlete, I'll give you that. I feel a whole lotta pride when he wins a gold for the USA.


But the greatest athlete ever? Maybe, if you're talking about gold medals, or even medals in particular. I made this point to Adam last night-most athletes in the Olympics don't have the opportunity to try to win eight gold medals. Misti May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh, who play beach volleyball, are totally BA. But they will never have 11 gold medals to their name, because they can only win ONE every four years.


Swimmers like Phelps have the opportunity to rack up the medals. I'm not trying to take away anything from his performance, because it's quite obvious he deserves those golds, but come on, he has a lot more opportunity to rack them up because of the various events he does. And, it hasn't been just him who won two of his golds this year, he was part of a relay team, so those other men get credit also.


When I think of the greatest athletes of all time, I think Tiger Woods, Babe Ruth, Roger Federer, Annika Sorenstam, etc. I couldn't begin to name just one person greatest athlete of all time.

No comments: