Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Time in a bottle


I've read a lot of blogs lately and noticed a lot of stressed out moms. Moms of babies, toddlers and young kids. I'm here to say, as much as it sucks right now, it gets better. And then you want to cry.


First, let me say, I am in no way knocking anyone in the military or their spouses. But typically, us in the military tend to get married early and have kids when we are young. I'm not sure why, but it's just the way it is. I know personally, I got married at age 22 (hubby was 19-I'm a cradle robber!) because we just couldn't afford to not be married. We were engaged and just sped up the wedding date because really, if we were going to get hitched anyway, why not do it sooner and stop paying rent for free housing?


I was 25 when I had my son, Addison. This is considered "older" in the military environment. I would say the average age, or at least from all the people I've known in the Army, that 19 or 20 is about when most women have their first baby. It feels weird when I see classmates on Facebook who have real young kids and even older people who have babies. It's just not the world I live in.


Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is this - hold on to those days as long as possible. I know, it's not the most fun, but before you know it, your child will too be a 'tween, and won't give you a kiss in front of his friends. He will know Linkin Park and Jimmy Buffett songs by heart (only if you're cool like me though-just kidding). He will be playing tackle football, and talking back like a 16-year-old.


I missed a lot of time wishing Addison was older. I didn't seize the days when he was innocent, and didn't know dirty words. I don't miss wiping his butt, but I do miss a lot.


Nine years old isn't that old, I know, but fourth grade seems so old to me. I remember fourth grade, and my friends, and my Cabbage Patch Kids. I remember my teacher, Mrs. Charbonneau, who told me I sneezed like her hamsters, Chip and Dale. I remember my weirdo friend Christa, who told me she ate crayons. I remember my friend Nova, and how sad I was for her when her dad died.


I constantly marvel at the young man Addison is becoming. I'm so proud of him, all the time. I'm also jealous, because he's the best at math in his class, he was the ace pitcher on his baseball team, and now he stepped up and said he wants to be quarterback of his football team. And he's good at everything. He can drive a golf ball almost 150 yards. He's a natural athlete, which he most obviously doesn't get from me (see: Adam wins Best Ranger Competition 2004).


I worry needlessly about him, all the time, and Adam thinks I'm crazy. But hey, he's my only child, and he's getting bigger every day. If I could only put time in a bottle...

No comments: