Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So Far Away...

Although I have been known to quite regularly trash the military when I get pissed off, for the most part, I can't complain. I'm not going to spell out all the benefits, but there are definitely ups and downs.

One of those downs is living so far from family. Our closest relative is my sister in North Carolina, about 8 hours away. Most of our family is in Massachusetts, about 22 hours away by car.

Most military families move every two to three years. My husband just hit his 13-year mark in the Army, and we are still at our first duty station. We have been incredibly lucky to be able to do this, especially since my son is 9 and has never had to move. He knows about moving, and has been very sad to see so many of his friends come and go. In a few months, we will make our first move to Savannah, and I'm not complaining!

The point I'm trying to make is this-it's hard to not live near family. How I would love to visit my mom on a Sunday afternoon and watch a Patriots game. I wish my dad could just come by and pick up Addison to go golfing. I wish my son knew his extended family better.

Adam's dad and brother came and visited us this past weekend. They left Monday morning, and Sunday night, Addison was upset. It breaks my heart to see him cry, to know that there's no possible way in the next seven years we will be able to live a short distance from any family members. I am upset he will not grow up around his aunt, uncles, cousins and grandparents.

I have a feeling, though, once we move to Savannah, we will see a lot more relatives coming to visit!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Savannah rocks, you bet you'll have more visitors - me included!

Anonymous said...

I am planning to visit Savannah in November. We'll be visiting the in-laws in FL and the husband and I are going to leave the baby with them and take a little side trip. I have been wanting to go for years.