Thursday, September 25, 2008

Because I'm moving...

...I've gotten lazy. I live in military housing-have for the past 12 years. Although I've been fortunate to live at one post for this long, I've never really felt like the two houses I've lived in have been home. I've been able to paint the walls and carpet the institution-like tile, but I've always known in the back of my head that I wouldn't be here forever.

Now that we are moving in January, I've begun to detach myself from our current house. We moved here three years ago from just up the street, because we were told after 9 years we lived too close to the firing range and could suffer from hearing loss. Luckily, I read this in a letter, because I wouldn't have been able to hear whoever was going to tell me. Just kidding.

I've made a best friend across the street and another just up the street. I will miss them terribly, but I've found that your friends are friends, regardless of where they live. My BFF lives in Wisconsin and we are just as close as ever. She'll always be my BFF because she knows too much!

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is apologize to Adam and Addison. I realize my housekeeping has been lax lately. I'm trying, I really am. I spend a lot of time doing my research on houses in the area we are moving to, seeing what is available, how much we can afford, etc.

I really do want to decorate my porch for Fall. I just don't care. I've slowly put my Fall decor throughout the house, just not outside yet. Maybe it's painful to realize it's the last time I will decorate this porch, at this house. I'm guessing yes, since I'm getting a little teary realizing that yes, we will leave this house, and even though I'm ecstatic about moving to Savannah, I will miss our time here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since there is no military housing there, do you get a housing allowance?

Erin said...

There is military housing on Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, but since our housing allowance will be around $1,500, we figured we might as well look into home buying instead of paying that full amount a month to live on post. The houses on post are new and nice, but they share a common wall, and I've had too many bad experiences (hearing domestic abuse) with common walls.
We would like to own a home for a couple years while we are there instead of wasting it on rent.