Friday, September 5, 2008

Mortified

Last night Adam had a jump (which ended up being cancelled because the plane was broken-nice) so I had the pleasure of taking Addison to football practice. I go to watch him, and see how he plays, and make plans for the money he will make and give to me when he's in the NFL.

Although I'm a Gemini and supposed to be a social butterfly, I'm not. I'm a quiet person, sometimes too quiet, according to Adam. But I hear everything. And what I heard last night blew my mind.

There were three little girls hanging out near me, one white girl and two black girls. I wasn't really paying attention to them until I heard one of the black girls say to the other, "So you don't like white people?" They continued to talk but I couldn't hear the rest. I thought maybe I had heard wrong, but my hearing is one of my best senses.

Her comment left me baffled. Baffled and angry. She couldn't have been more than 8 years old, so tell me, where do you think she learned this from? Maybe friends, but I'm betting the farm I don't own that she learned it at home. That's what angers me.

I have always said I love that Addison is a military child, growing up in a neighborhood and school full of every sort of nationality you could think of. Addison has had friends who are Puerto Rican, black, Mexican, Peruvian, Samoan, etc. Addison doesn't see color, he sees the content of someone's character. Apparently the parents of that little girl have taught her different, and that disgusts me.

If I had been feeling more sassy, I would have asked her point blank, "So you don't like me?" just to see what she would say, but then again, it's not my job to educate her that you don't not like someone just because they're a different color than you. I know, I used a double negative in that sentence, but I can't think of a better way to word it, it bothers me too.

I'm still in shock over what I heard, and I hope and pray that the girl learns better someday.

No comments: