Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm NOT that parent

I've already been warned by Adam, not to be that parent during football season. You know that parent, the one who has a big mouth and yells at their kid and talks shit about the other kids and the other team.

I don't know why he thinks I am like this. We've been married 12 years and never once have I, during any of Addison's sporting events, said anything mean. I've never yelled anything but encouragement, even for the other team.

People have a perception of me, that I'm a hothead. I do have a quick Irish temper, and sometimes have a hard time holding my tongue, I admit. I say what's on my mind and really don't care if anyone listens, and if they do and don't like it, tough shit. That being said, though, I don't know why people think I have no self restraint.

I told Adam that although I don't have a lot of class, I do have some. Enough to make me not yell at Addison or any other kid. For cripes sake, they're 9 and 10 years old. They are learning. I try to praise Addison and teach him at the same time. It's not going to be an easy season for Addison, since we were told they will not win one single game, but he's excited about playing nonetheless, so I am too.

I refuse to be that parent, and I refuse to respond to them. Let them look like an asshole, I really don't care. I will defend my child, because he's sure to get some criticism, being the quarterback. If it's warranted, that's fine, but if not, oh hell no, game on. Just kidding-no, really.

No comments: